On this edition of Enviro:
- Students from the Dominican College Griffith Avenue Dublin: Their ideas on environmental conservation and the projects which they have completed and have at the planning stage. They also discussed how they can develop joint projects with Forest Friends. They discussed their role in the climate change protests initiated by Greta Thunberg , and projects like’ ‘Extinction Rebellion’ The students expressed an interest in developing ‘Young Forest Friends’ and working in partnership with Forest Friends on the issues discussed in this program.
- We made two Book reviews, ‘No Logo by Naomi Klein and the ‘Tree Climbers Guide’ by Jack Cooke
- NO LOGO: In No Logo Naomi Klein offers a lively account of some of the major trends in business and culture in recent years the rise of branding, its role in the growth of corporate power, the origins of modern branding campaigns to the mid-80s, stressing the role played by clothing companies such as the Gap, Hilfiger, and Nike She describes the appropriation of youth and “indie” culture (the “hunting of cool”), the intrusion of advertising (Channel One, Coke and Pepsi) into schools and universities, and “identity marketing” (the targeting of minorities, feminists, and progressive agendas .
- Cod and chips could be off the menu after North Sea stocks of cod will be stripped of their approval rating as a sustainable fish (Marine Stewardship Council).
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Latest landmark report on climate change and the state of our oceans. Changes in the marine environment are accelerating under climate-related impacts